Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Let's twist again. Not.

We had some nasty storms come through last night. They spawned a few twisters (tornados) along the way. Thankfully none of them were near here. Still, we had a tornado watch all through the evening. So I sat up late, after my wife and kids had gone to bed, watching the weather forecaster on the television. These guys live for bad weather - you can see the gleam in their eyes. Anyway, tornados are scary. They're so random. I've watched hurricanes and cyclones. Sure, they do more damage in total, but you generally have plenty of warning, many hours, often days. Their paths can be predicted reasonably well. Tornados form and disappear quickly. Their paths seem random. You get warned minutes before they hit. If you get warned. Some poor buggers first realize there's a tornado when their houses explode... Thankfully it's rare for tornados to penetrate far into a city. Mostly it's the outskirts of cities or small rural places that get hit. We have tornado warning sirens here, but I have my doubts that we would hear them above the roar of a thunderstorm. So I sat up and watched the weather forecaster try to conceal his glee. Tornados are scary.

1 comment:

JollyRgr said...

I'm glad you guys are okay.....we saw it on the news here and wondered a bit. Stay safe.....