Wednesday, March 21, 2007

For JollyRgr

I'm posting this here because stoopid LiveJournal isn't letting me post comments on DocStymie's blog...

The good Doc had blogged about a recent paper that appeared in the (new) scientific journal PloS Biology. This concerned modeling all the proteins in the yeast proteome.

The recently-shaved JollyRgr had asked:
"yeast proteome something like human genome in general concept????

Am I on the right path???"


So here's the answer...

Kinda sorta. The genome is the set of blueprints (genes) for making the various components of a living organism. Think DNA = genome. Each gene encodes a component. Proteins make up many, probably most, of those components. The proteome is the set of all proteins in an organism. So the genome encodes the proteome, plus more. Yeast, like humans and all other living organisms, has a genome and associated proteome. We use yeast as a model organism because it's genome, and proteome, has many of the same components as the human versions.

So there you go.

3 comments:

Jeff Seale said...

well, if you'd just sign up for an LJ account, it wouldn't be a problem. ;o)

Odyssey said...

I tried. Some bugger already has the name Odyssey. I don't know that I want yet another persona. The ones in my head are enough already...

JollyRgr said...

I somehow knew that you would take the opportunity to say 'almost but not quite'.......its like 'close, but no cigar' :-) Cheeky bugger!
I do now understand with your excellent explanation.....and it's clearly a pretty important step