Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Book amusement II

Earlier this year a book I edited was published. I had earlier posted about some amusing keywords listed on Amazon.com for it. This morning I checked on Amazon.com to see if anyone there had written a review of it. No one had. But what I did find there did give me yet another chuckle...

Now, if you buy this book directly from the publisher you'll pay ~$71. Amazon doesn't sell the book directly, but currently offers it via four resellers plus a used book seller. Here are the listed prices:

Reseller 1- $42.00
Reseller 2- $64.65
Reseller 3- $93.89
Reseller 4- $107.85

Almost a three-fold range!

Used book dealer- $112.22!!!!!! And yes, this is listed as a used copy... Perhaps one originally bought from International Books...

3 comments:

Goose said...

Ah... Capitalism!

JLK said...

You don't want to get me started on book prices. Especially textbooks.

The fact that publishers can get away with charging $150 for a hardcover textbook because I HAVE to buy it for my class pisses me off on so many levels.

And the so-called "new" editions. Ugh! Ive taken to buying my books used from amazon and half.com where I might pay $150 TOTAL for all the books I need for 5 classes. I'll buy something 2 editions older if I have to.

And I always get a kick out of the used book sellers that price something as much as 50% higher than the new price on amazon. Are there really people that stupid?

JollyRgr said...

Should should be using this idea to fund your research.....you just have to lose your ethics.