Friday, June 19, 2009

This and that

I heard this morning that my late Nanna's house was sold. She passed away earlier this year. I knew the house was on the market but hadn't really thought about it in depth. It's actually quite sad - I have some fond childhood memories of that old place. The fig tree in the backyard, the lanes out the back and on the side, the "old house" smell*... Sigh.


On a brighter note, I'm off to a smallish six day meeting this Sunday. Lots of good people will be there. My goals (you should always have goals, otherwise why attend?) are to:

i) get feedback on my new major research project - progress has been slow but steady,
ii) get feedback on my new major research project's bride, which is showing signs of life,
iii) catch up with old friends/collaborators,
iv) make new friends/collaborators,
v) score at least two seminar invites, and
vi) not make a fool of myself.

Goal vi) might be the hardest.


And finally a quote from my supertech: "Cloning always works. One day."






* Or was it an "old person" smell?

3 comments:

Professor in Training said...

We had a similar issue recently with my mothers cousins deciding to sell off my grandfather's ancestral home. The beautiful historic old building is no more and made way for an ugly 5-story block of holiday apartments. Sigh. Lots of great memories in that house.

Good luck with goal vi). I don't even try anymore.

JollyRgr said...

I remember the grape vine and plum tree in the huge back garden. I also remember the old mantle clock ticking away like a heart beat.

Goose said...

Old person, old house... the smells are so similar...